The weather has been pretty crazy…hot, cold, windy, rainy, and completely and totally unpredictable. Kind of like a child’s moods, right?
Mood swings are hard to predict, but one thing that can help kids regulate and feel more in control of their emotions is to feel more connected to us! At their very core, a child deeply desires to feel connected to their parent/guardian. They want to be seen…heard…valued…listened to…understood…loved. They want to be noticed and they will do ANYTHING to get us to notice them…including misbehave. Behaviors like…
- doing things they are not supposed to be doing
- getting into things they are not supposed to be getting in to
- throwing tantrums
- fighting with their siblings
- doing poorly in school
are all behaviors that get our attention. And some kids do these behaviors JUST to get our attention. They are saying…”see me”…”notice me”…”pay attention to me”.
But what if we set aside time each day just to play with them…hang out with them…talk to them…just be with them? How would their behaviors change?
Well, definitely for the better.
- smarter choices
- calmer emotions
- higher self-esteem
are just some of the benefits of children feeling connected to their parent/guardian and to their family.
Here are 5 Ways to Connect as a FAMILY this SPRING…
- FAMILY GO-TO-THE-MOVIES NIGHT: Surprise your kids by taking them to the movie theater to watch a movie together. NOTE: To cut down on cost, go before 4pm and bring your own popcorn, candy, and drinks like I do! 🙂
- FAMILY BAKE COOKIES NIGHT: Bake some cookies together and then enjoy eating them together too! You could even bake a few extra to share with a neighbor.
- FAMILY HAVE-A-PARTY-FOR-NO-REASON NIGHT: Any night can be a reason for a party. One mom of 8 shared that she would randomly do a “Nacho Birthday Party” and have nachos and give each kid a little gift for no reason. How fun is that?
- FAMILY PLANT FLOWERS NIGHT: Now that the weather is getting nicer, you can plant some flower together and you can water them and take care of them together and watch them grow all throughout the spring, summer, and even into the fall. Impatiens are $5-$10, and they bush out and grow quite a bit. You could even get a seed packet for a few dollars and plant seeds and watch them sprout and grow!
- FAMILY KICK BALL NIGHT: Grab a ball and head to an open area for a friendly game of family kick ball. We just use jackets and shirts for the bases and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine.
Pick one of these to try this weekend and put Family Time on the calendar each week throughout the spring and do something to connect. If you use none of these ideas…that’s OK. Find YOUR own way to connect as a family. So even if the weather isn’t predictable this spring season…your child will know that Family Time will be!
Here’s to some fun Family Time this spring…
Child Development Specialist
We strengthen families and promote positive parent-child relationships.
For parenting questions, concerns, and support, call or text our non-emergency Parent Support Line: 920-7FAMILY (920-732 6459)