Using a Giving Box, you can work as a team with your family to teach the beauty of giving to others. Giving is about love, thoughtfulness, and compassion. Giving is about understanding that there is a world outside of ourselves that our kids can be a part of helping. Giving is about God in motion. We are His hands and feet and so when we teach our kids to give, not only are we modeling teamwork, but we are modeling a calling to give as we are able.
How to use The Giving Box with your family:
- Get a box, laundry basket, or large tub or storage bin. Attach a sign that says “The Giving Box.”
- Bring your family together and share how blessed that you are as a family to have each other and that people are more important than things.
- Let them know that together, as a team/family, you are going to see how many times you can fill The Giving Box with things from around the house.
- Choose a local charity where you will be donating your items. Research the charity together so you know how your things are going for the greater good.
- Work as a team to go through every closet, every cabinet. Clean out toys, books, clothes, shoes, hats, gloves, coats, pots, pans…everything you own should be gone through!
- Keep track of how many times the box is filled and do a family hug each time you’ve filled it.
The Giving Box–what a great way to get rid of things in your home, bless others, and be blessed as you work as a team to give!
Here’s to building better families-